When the piper plays is entirely up to the family.
Here is a list of times I’m usually asked to play:
- As the cortege is leaving the family home
- As the cortege arrives at the church or crematorium.
- Leading the coffin into the church or crematorium.
- As the mourners leave the church or crematorium.
- As the coffin is carried to the graveside.
- As the coffin is lowered into the grave.
- At the end of the graveside ceremony walking away with the music fading in the distance.
The music played at funerals is also a family matter and I am happy to play any personal favourites if they can be played on the pipes.
The following are some of the tunes often requested for funerals.
Flower of Scotland
Flowers o' the Forest
MacGregor of Rora
Lochaber No More
Bonnie Black Isle